Setup PHP WordPress Dev Envrionment
- Have a local php dev environment setup (MAMP/XAMPP/..)
If you have not already setup your local dev environment, you can do so by following my tutorial here
Now that you have a local php dev environment, installing WordPress is very easy.
- Go to the wordpress download page here and download the latest wordpress.
- Extract the archive to the directory of your web server. The default for XAMPP is
- Start up Apache and MySQL
- Open a browser and go to
http://localhost/wordpress/and you will be greeted a page as shown below
- Go to your phpMyAdmin and create a database named
wordpress_dev. You need not create any tables. You can refer to the images below
- Go back to the browser and continue with the installation, filling up the necessary details. The default username and password for MySQL in XAMPP is root and nothing/blank(there is no password)
- Click Continue and setup some of your other WordPress settings
- Your done !